R.E.A.C.H. - Research and Explore Awesome Careers in Healthcare
The purpose of R.E.A.C.H. is to provide Montana high school and middle school students a chance to learn about careers within the healthcare field by offering them an opportunity to explore and experience various healthcare careers. We want to encourage the next generation of youth to choose fulfilling careers in the high skill, high demand, and high pay healthcare industry. R.E.A.C.H. is a one-day program, taking place at the local healthcare facility that provides students the opportunity to explore the healthcare field through a variety of hands-on stations and activities. Professionals from the sponsoring healthcare facility lead the stations, volunteering their time and talent to mentor students and share their expertise.
R.E.A.C.H. usually contains a series of 7-8 stations, each approximately 30-45 minutes in length, led by professionals from the sponsoring healthcare facility. The total number and length of stations can vary depending on the sponsoring healthcare facility. Students are divided into groups and rotate from station to station throughout the day. The first few minutes of each station is a brief “lecture” by the provider about how they got into healthcare and their educational journey. The remainder (and majority) of the station is devoted to a hands-on activity led by the provider. The hands-on activities are designed to give the students a more realistic impression of the particular healthcare career.
- The NC MT AHEC has the ability to coordinate a R.E.A.C.H. program for any community within the North Central region of Montana
- R.E.A.C.H. runs approximately 8:30 am to 3:00 pm on a normal school day; or 1/2 day from 8:30am-11:30am
- R.E.A.C.H. is generally open to 7-11th grade students, but this will vary depending on participating schools & the size of the sponsoring healthcare facility.
- No cost to the student
- Students are selected by school staff or application process
- Each student will receive a scrubs top with the R.E.A.C.H. logo
- Lunch & snacks will be provided to the students for full day R.E.A.C.H.
- Certificate of completion will be presented to each student
Upcoming R.E.A.C.H. programs:
February 26, 2013: Missouri River Medical Center
April 9, 2013: Marias Medical Center
For applications or more information on next year's R.E.A.C.H. programs, please contact Kailyn Dorhauer, NC AHEC Program Coordinator.
Previous R.E.A.C.H. locations:
- Teton County, Teton Medical Center in Choteau
- Glacier County, Northern Rockies Medical Center in Cutbank
- Chouteau County, Missouri River Medical Center in Fort Benton
- Pondera County, Pondera Medical Center in Conrad
- Judith Basin and Fergus Counties, Central Montana Medical Center in Lewistown